Monday, December 24, 2007

(10) Blushing Apple Crescents

2 20-oz cans apple slices
¾ c sugar
½ c red hots (cinnamon candies)
1 t whole allspice
½ c white vinegar

Drain liquid from apples into saucepan; stir in sugar, candies, allspice, and vinegar. Heat to boiling and simmer 5 minutes. Add apples; heat to boiling again. Pour into bowl, cool, and refrigerate 24 hours. Makes 4 cups.

********************
Mom got this recipe from her friend Wanda Farrell back in 1980, before I was even born! We adore it. It's a perfect blend of sweet and sour--with vinegar--and makes a beautiful and tasty side dish to the main meal. You can use fresh apples if you'd prefer; Mom usually does, I think. We can't get red hots here, though, so this is a special treat for us!

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Hi SaraLyn - Just found your Mom's recipes on your blog. It was fun reading through them. Some of them I have used myself, but am looking forward to trying the Swedish shortbread. Do you have some Swedish in your back ground?

Your Mom and I were room mates on choir tour when we were back at good old TKC.

ENjoy your trip to the USA with your huisband. Maybe you are already back home...Greet your parents for me.

Have a great day. God bless.
Love, Donna Dahlborg

Sparkling Adventures said...

Hello,
I was with SIM in Niger & Nigeria in the early 80s...
I was wondering if you have a copy of the Crocodile Cookbook?
In particular, I'm looking for the Tanzanian Meat & Banana Stew recipe.
Thanks,
Lauren.