Wednesday, July 4, 2007

Chocolate Refrigerator Cookies

  • 1/2 c butter or margarine
  • 1 c granulated sugar
  • 1 egg
  • 1 t vanilla
  • 1 c flour
  • 1/2 c cocoa powder
  • 1/4 t salt
  • 1 t baking powder
1. Mix butter and sugar together in a large bowl until creamy.
2. Beat the egg with a fork in a cup.
3. Add the egg and vanilla to the butter mixture. Mix well.
4. Sift the flour, cocoa, salt, and baking powder together in another bowl.
5. Sift the flour mixture (1/3 at a time) into butter mixture and mix well.
6. Shape the dough into a long roll about 2" in diameter.
7. Wrap it in aluminum foil or plastic wrap.
8. Chill in the refrigerator for 12-24 hours or longer.
9. When you are ready to bake, cut the cookies off the roll in very thin slices.
10. Put them on a greased cookie sheet.
11. Bake in a 400F oven for 8-10 minutes.

**********************
Saralynn got a cookbook way back when she was small called Easy Cooking for Kids by Sandra Sanders. I've edited this recipe a bit for our purposes, using cocoa instead of melted chocolate. But these are easy and taste good, too. The book's rather old and falling apart, but I'm still using it. (Saralynn says she doesn't want it anymore.) Enjoy!

3 comments:

Linda D said...

This is so wonderful! I am writing them all down because right now, I am tired, pregnant and chasing around a 19 month old so I dont have time to just relax and bake and cook! However, after the baby, and hopefully my nausea stops, I will be making everything on here! So please, oh please keep them coming. Thank you so much for doing this!

Sara said...

I LOVE THESE COOKIES! I got them for my 25th birthday and then a carrot-pineapple cake, and then a cheesecake. That was an amazing weekend.

Astrieanna said...

This was just what I was looking for! =)
Got here from Google, looking for a recipe for Chocolate Refrigerator Cookies.
Your recipe is so much simpler and easier to read that the ones on the major recipe sites. I always prefer recipes found on blogs to ones on the major sites.
Thanks!